View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008   #397
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
It sounds like you think they should have used a 1st round pick on defense "irregardless of value". What info do you have that DBrown wasn't the highest player on the board for them- certainly he was for the Chargers who picked Cason right after us.

Are you actually going to criticize the same team who chose Mario over Reggie and Vince two years ago for under-emphasizing the defense?

Let's look at the attention to defense the past three off-seasons:

2006: 1st and 2nd round- Mario and Demeco, signing of Weaver, Maddox, WRainer, Kalu, Cochran, etc...

2007: 1st, 4th, 5th round- Okoye, Bennett, Harrison, signing of Danny Clark, Fletcher, Demps, trade for M.Boulware.

2008: 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th round- Molden, Adibi, Okam, Barber, signing of J.Reeves, Bentley, CThompson

I'm not sure how anyone could honestly suggest that this team doesn't adequately weight the importance of defense. Your argument really has nothing to stand on. We know other teams also had Brown rated ahead of guys like Cason and that he wouldn't have made it out of the 1st round. Also, clearly, the team has sunk a lot of money and picks into the defense the past 3 years. So, what's your point other than an inability to admit when you are in error.
just because you use a bunch of picks on defense doesnt mean your defense is goood.

oh and you know 'certainly he was highest rated player for the Chargers'. Oh really? i have read the same report as you but that doesnt make it fact.

my point is that the defense held better value at the position we drafted IMHO.

I also did not feel we 'desparately' needed a tackle. sure we needed a tackle but i felt other needs were more pressing IMHO.

you have opinion. i have opinioin. just like you used to make excuses for carr because that was your opinion. just like you blamed everything wrong with Carr ont eh coaching staff. that was your opinion too. I had my opinion then and I have my opinion now. sorry it doesnt jive with mine and dont be surprised if 10 years from now Brown is sacking groceries and Kenny Phillips is playing in his 6th Pro Bowl....

sorry if I dont buy into the whole 'Alex Gibbs Is God' argument that seems so pervasive around here. I guess i am not as good of a fan as you.

*yawns*

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 05-03-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote