View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: New insite into Smith's Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
i'm sure for the most part it's all designed to beat the colts. after all, thats the basis of peyton's offense. he walks up to the line, looks at the defense and calls the play accordingly. it's not called in the huddle. it's a read and react offense. it wont do well when it can't read and it wont do well when it gets pressure from the front four. in theory of course. it's done well against us for years.
Think of what the Colts do offensively. They generally send the same guys out on most plays, and they generally line up in a handful of formations.

ARe they going to run, or are they going to pass?? You don't know, because the package is the same. So you have to guess at what "defensive package" you're going to throw out there.

Then they show their formation, but again, they run so many plays from the same formation, you still don't know what's coming. So you have to guess again.

Then they snap the ball.. regardless what anyone else might tell you, they are a very good play action team. They run the ball effectively, and Peyton does the same thing almost flawlessly until he hands the ball off, or loads up to throw, you don't know, until it's too late. So again, you have to guess.

By that time, you've stacked up three, maybe four guesses, and they may all be wrong..... you're beat, and you're beat bad, if that's the case.

Now, one thing Peyton does, is "stare" at a player until he throws the ball. Many folks think he is staring down his reciever, like that theiv'n SOB David Carr used to do... But Peyton was looking at our player. A safety, or a LB.. He knew where his player was going to be where he's supposed to be, just like he's been all week in practice.

Many of their plays target a specific player, a LB, or a safety. & Peyton would stare him down, until he makes a decision. Didn't matter to Peyton which way he chose, if he went high, Peyton threw low, if he went low, Peyton threw high.

That had absolutely nothing to do with our talk about defense, I just wanted to take another shot at YKW.

But if we always look the same, what's Peyton going to audible too??

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
for the record, and i think kiwi said it best, i'm not looking for a name or some stupid thing to yell out at the games. i want to understand what my team is trying to accomplish. i want to know what they are thinking.
Simply put, if our main focus is to pressure the QB, and we "refuse" to blitz... That tells me we're so bad behind the defensive line(whether your DL is good or bad doesn't matter at this point), that our M.O. is going to be to play it safe for a while.