View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008   #377
Lucky

Rep Power: 99011 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post

I think Brown went early but I've covered the entire topic on my blog. However, you can discount people's opinion all you want but John Harris also pointed out how Alex Gibbs 1st round tackle, George Foster, has been a bust and was even dealt from Denver.
That George Foster was Alex Gibbs' selection in the 2003 draft is a pretty big assumption. One, Foster was nothing like the ZBS prototypical lineman that Gibbs favored, small & athletic. Two, Gibbs was a part-time coach at Denver in 2003. Then he left the Broncos to join the Falcons in '04. That Gibbs was instrumental in Foster's selection and development isn't well founded. And even if the Foster pick received Gibbs' blessing in '03, Gibbs has obviously gone back to his comfort zone with Duane Brown.

I'm always suspicious of the sacks allowed stat. Watching one of the networks video highlights on Duane Brown, a sack by the defender engaged by Brown was shown. The implication was that this was a sack allowed by Brown, that he had quit on the block. What they didn't say was that the QB took a 3 step drop. The ball was supposed to be out well before the pass rusher completely circled Brown and found the QB. As we've seen in the past here in Houston, sometimes the sack allowed belongs to the QB.

Regarding technique, clearly Brown will have to be broken down and built up by Gibbs and Benton. But, they would have to do the same with Ryan Clady or Chris Williams. Think about all the work that would have to be done with Branden Albert, who had a total of 2 games at LT his entire career.

If Duane Brown becomes an accomplished LT, this wouldn't be the first time that John Harris was wrong on a prospect. He was calling Reggie Bush the best player in college football as a freshman. Everyone makes mistakes. Some of us are just more willing to side with Alex Gibbs opinion than internet scouts, like John Harris or Todd McShay.