View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008   #179
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

Well we talked about the worst case scenario and what it would be and it pretty much happened, except Mendenhall was available. No LT worthy of the 18, and the Texans top 2 CB's off the board, to top OLB's off the board. I thought we'd take Mendenhall or Jenkins there or trade down.

Kind of surprising seeing Mendenhall and Jenkins fall so far in the 1st round today. Lance called it yesterday, that these two were slipping (his final mock had RM at 23 to Pitt and MJ at 30 to ATL). So, it makes me feel a little better the Texans saw the same thing in them as everyone else...kind of odd.

Was Duane Brown my top choice? No, but after Albert and Wiliams were off the board, we HAD to trade down to get our LT and that's exactly what we did. Duane Brown is not a Nobody and if you've never heard of him, then you havn't read up on the draft particularly about possible Texans Prospects.

Don't let everyone fool you, he was not going to last to the 3rd round, just like Matt Forte we weren't going to get Matt Forte in the 3rd round, and like Antoine Cason wasn't a late 2nd or early 3rd rd pick.

Duane Brown was shooting up the boards and was easily an early 2nd rd pick. We traded down, gained more picks and selected him very near the end of the 1st round.

He's a prototypical Left Tackle and exactly what Gibbs and Kubiak were looking for. For them to select an OL in the 1st round- I knew I was going to be on board with whomever it was because these are extremely smart minds, esp. when it comes to the OL. If he was the LT for our team we HAD to take him there, he wouldn't have been available later, despite what many may think.

I too was really looking forward to Mendenhall, Jenkins or Cason. But I'm not going to bash the pick of Brown because we finally got the LT we've been waiting for and our OL is pretty darn near complete. I fully believe that our OL of the future are now all on the team already and they just need the coaching. LT was the most important position we needed to address and we did.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote