View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005   #49
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114593 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

this has been an enjoyable thread to read though disillusioned from time to time.

for those of you critical of the coaching staff for not paying enough attention to our ol personel let me refresh your memory :

boselli, ryan young, steve mckinney, zach weigert,and todd wade were all overpriced vetran aquisitions who have yet to live up to their billing as quality linemen. something else to note is all of these players were effected in one way or another by injuries.

in the draft we selected chester pitts in the 2nd, and wand and weary (bust) in the 3rd.

dont be critical that we didnt target offensive linemen. instead ask, why didnt the coaches address freeny and give wand some help with a tightend or a fullback? ask why mckinney has been allowed to corrupt our interior line (a direct impact on both guard postions) for 3 years? ask why we dont use screens more often to ease the blitz? and lastly, i think theres a place for the deep threat...i like it because it softens the defense...but you have to pick your spots. when carr has 2 1/2 seconds to throw the ball throughout the game our recievers shouldnt even be running intermediate routes...let alone 40 yards downfield. wheres the slant? aj had success with the hitch route for a portion of the season but we got away from it. mix in a screen and keep the 3 step drops until the line can prove some consistency. otherwise, the face of our franchise will not live to sign his next contract.

in fairness to the line we didnt just change to a zone blocking scheme ( i know, i know, you'll tell me that has no effect on the pass protection ),but we also had a new line coach (pendry).

- i think the infatuation with baas is also due to the fact that he can play center and guard. if we draft him he'll find a place in our starting rotation faster because of it.

as for the defense......what happened to the blitz happy capers? what changed so drastically from our inagrual year?

2003 = 17 players on injured reserve...thats not even counting the players who missed ample time but werent placed on the ir. YOU CANT HAVE AN EFFECTIVE, CONSISTENT BLITZ WITHOUT THE PROPER PERSONEL.

2004? -glenn (ageing and still recovering from the previous years injury) -robinson (rookie) -coleman (transition to free safety for the first time since his failed experiment with the jets...and later injured) -brown (puke!) -earl (rookie recovering from a collegiate injury)

whats the point of this? when you blitz linebackers and they dont get there fast enough you leave huge patches of green for recievers. our secondary was a monumental question mark at the time and the coaches felt safer sending linbackers into coverage to ease the burden on our secondary. to aggrivate the problem more we had foreman as one of those backers dropping into coverage...he was abused several times over. our line got very little pressure on its own ( walker underperformed, payne was recovering, and robarie was new to the postion---though he came alive in the last quarter of the season ).

the secondary will be signifigantly better then last year (glenn dont prove me wrong!). with greenwood we just aquired a true coverage backer with ample speed. babin and peek should be better. the dl has me concerned but i see no "quick fix solution" to that problem. with better play from both the secondary and the linebackers i dont see the dl being exposed as much as last year.

what i do see is the texans D loading up for a blitz happy year again. its not nearly as bad as some of you guys think it is. every year we've improved and that trend will continue. stop tieing those knots and put the razors away.