Thread: Sigh
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2005   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
That is who I think the Texans want in the draft. David Pollack. 3-4 olb are going to be harder to find with so many teams going to the 3-4. Even if we overstock at olb we could make a trade in our favor because of the demand.
I enjoy your posts, and let me say you might be right about Pollack, I mean whats there not to like about the guy he is a pure football player. however if you look at the Patriots (inventors of the 3-4) one of the keys to their success was drafting late round "tweeners" and converting them to 3-4 linebackers, never once did they use a 1st round draft pick on a linebacker. Your correct that demand has increased because of recognition of their technique, but then again if everyone is doing it then its time to try a different approach.

There are a couple positions which need addressed however that if you follow the really big dollars in F/A are the offensive tackles and cornerbacks. a guy like Dunta Robinson on the free agency market is going to command a much higher dollar amount than a Tedy Bruschi or Mike Vrabel. So when you have a chance to select near the top of the draft order, high enough at least to garner the elite skilled positional players from a contract angle they are more desireable.

Therefore to the orginal statement of selecting a OLB (Pollack) with the 13th pick, unless they are already taken (PAC, ROLLE, ROGERS, MILLER) it will be another CB, or a OT (ALEX BARRON, JAMMAL BROWN).
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote