View Single Post
Old 06-11-2004   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, on the "Gaffney and Bradford were/were not open" question and whether or not Carr gave them the needed looks" question I think it's important to dissect the seasons.

First off you can pretty much throw out almost all of 2002. We all know about the pass protection problems of year 1. That season even if he had had Davis to throw to it wouldn't have made much difference. Between Carr's imaturity and the lines poor play he often didn't have the time to even give his primary reciever a good look. That leads to 2003...

2003 was surprisingly good in terms of how many times Carr got sacked but it's not like 2003 happened all by itself. It followed 2002 so many times Carr reacted exactly like a guy who had just been through a 76 sack season one year before. That's not a knock on Carr. Find anyone not gun shy after taking a beating like that and I'll be surprised. Still in 2003 it led to Carr focusing on his primary reciever and then when the protection finally started showing signs of giving way he went to his safety valve quickly. It helped that his safety valve in this case was DD who could do some damage but he went to him soon. Too soon at times maybe.

I've probably watched the 2003 season more than almost anyone on this board. I've been burning DVD's of it for people most of the off-season and every time I make a DVD I spend some time watching it. Many of them I've watched almost all the way through and it happens often. Believe me, they're open quite a bit. They just weren't getting the looks.

The good news is that last year Carr took a very acceptable amount of punishment compared to other QB's in the league. Our line looks to be possibly even better in 2004 so he should start to see some consistent time this year. With 2002 fading into the past I expect him to take the time to see more of the field and check on those 2nd and 3rd options more this year. You can be sure that if we've seen it from games on television and in person then Chris Palmer and Dom Capers certainly know about it and will be working with David to get those other recievers more involved in the games.