Thread: Mario Williams
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007   #384
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Williams

That Sporting News article is right on, IMO. If you combine what it has with the press conference of Bob McNair, I think you get the full picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNw-tXyn6qM

In the press conference, McNair states that they had tendered both Reggie and Mario the same offer. (I think this was $26 million. But it sounds like both respective agents wanted $28 million (Sporting News). Sounds like Mario's agent was willing to relent the $2 million quicker than the Bush camp. Then again, McNair mentions they were "close enough" with Bush that it wasn't really an issue.)

As far as McClain goes, I'm really not quite sure why he keeps insisting that it was Casserley's pick. No doubt, he was still GM at the time and had input. Casserley liked Mario. But so did Kubes. Mr. McNair just wanted to win football games. In the youtube video, McNair explains that the coaches decided that they needed defense over offense with that pick. In the end, IMO, it was a consensus organizational pick. Not a one man decision. At least, that's the way I see it....
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote