Thread: Mario Williams
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007   #320
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I've supported Mario from the beginning BUT, he has deserved criticism and harsh criticism - at times. He played well at the beginning of the season, and has played well the last couple of games. In between those games he disappeared for a little while.
This is my take, as well. I was on board with picking Mario the night before the 2006 draft, as evidenced in the board's history. Although I tended to be a D'Brick or AJ Hawk fan back then, I was cool with picking a defensive guy, too.

Since then, I've openly expressed being disappointed by certain aspects of his game. I understand the nature of the position is a 2-3 year learning curve, so I've always been patient about it, but losing tends to magnify the frustration. I care about our players and have high expectations for them. It's only human to be down from time to time, especially after six seasons of suck. But that doesn't mean I hate the pick or ever thought he was a 'bust'. Far from it.

I think Vinny comes from the same angle. No homer glasses but still hope for our hometown players, countered with realistic analysis of the product on the field. It doesn't require drinking koolaide or hatorade to be a good football fan.