Thread: Mario Williams
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007   #300
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I think I did hear that Casserly recommended Daniels now that you mention it. It must have been in the press - a Kubiak quote.

DeMeco was highly touted by the linebackers coach, Johnny Holland.

I think Kubiak was responsible for pulling the trigger on them though. That's all good - listen to advice and make your decision.

agreed: You're never going to know for sure...my two cents...Charley Casserly was a "yes" guy...he hunted up the tallent, administered the scouts, told he coches their weaknesse and strengths, options and then pulled he trigger if the coach gave the ok.
He doesn't make waves. He's a team guy. There was a whole lot of reachin' the first five years...I do not believe it was all CC's doing as so many on the board believe. There were many fingers in that dung pie. We saw one last sunday...a 4-3 develppemental guy chosen by at the time a 3-4 team...makes you wonder. It was only a seventh rounder but the guy has found himself apparently.

http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=00-0021332

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs...ans_GM_Resigns
http://blog.kir.com/archives/002735.asp

Quote:
Several of my friend's observations on specific picks were also quite interesting. For example, on Jason Babin (LB 2004 first round), Seth Wand (OT 2003 third round) and Travis Johnson (DL 2005) -- all of whom are often cited as Casserly "bust" picks -- my friend disagreed and characterized each of them as decent picks, at least at this point in the evaluation process.

"Babin started and played reasonably well as a rookie, and then he has been injured while learning a new system in his second season," my friend noted. "He may not be a star, but he can still develop into a solid NFL starter."

As for Wand, my friend observed: "He's a small college player who has been pushed too fast at this level. That doesn't mean he won't eventually become at least an average NFL player."

With regard to Johnson, my friend pointed out that his inconsistent play this season is at least partly attributable to being thrown into a poorly-organized defensive unit that is just now adjusting to the change from the 4-3 to the 3-4 defense. "He's not Reggie White," my friend chuckled. "But it's way too early to characterize him as a bust."

So, why don't the Texans have enough good players? "Well, I haven't analyzed Casserly's free agent and trade transactions, so those certainly could have something to do with that," observed my friend. "But remember, quality depth is built up over time and the Texans are still a young franchise. Wand is a good example. He was a decent pick, but he is a project and thus, might not have been the best fit for a team such as the Texans that needs players who can play at the NFL-level as soon as possible."

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-12-2007 at 09:40 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote