View Single Post
Old 02-04-2005   #15
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Well for starters I don't recall the 2004 draft being called 'one for the ages', but it did get hyped for having talent deep into the draft. I believe the 83 NFL Draft wasn't even called a draft for the ages even though it had Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, and John Elway all going in the first round. As far as Rothelisburger pulling a "total choke job" in his last 2 games I'm not sure what you're expectations were for a rookie QB. A rookie QB has never taken his team to the Super Bowl, and Big Ben was one game shy of doing just that. He broke several rookie QB records, and I believe he was the first QB to win the Offensive Rookie of the Year award. There is a reason why people say you have to wait a few years before grading out an NFL draft, and that reason is that every rookies situation is unique. Some rookies start off their NFL career in a limited role as a 3rd/4th WR or as a backup DT coming off the bench. Still other rookies, although talented, need work on their technique or at adjusting to the complicated plays in the NFL. If you're going to use the Pro Bowl as a judge for 'super talented' rookies then you're going to get an awfully mixed bag of rookies ranging from mediocre to great talents. If one conference lacks many playmaking WRs then its a little easier for a rookie WR to make the Pro Bowl for that conference. Just like if another conference has several great veteran WRs competing for a few WR Pro Bowl spots, then it makes it that much more difficult for that WR to make the Pro Bowl. If we use the Pro Bowl to judge how good rookies are then our very own DRob must be a bust because he didn't reach a Pro Bowl, and he most definately didn't achieve 'National Stardom' in his rookie campaign. What was CC thinking when he took him at 10?
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote