View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007   #18
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Two Worst Stats to Lead the NFL in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Initially I thought that leading the league in players on the IR was an indication that the Texans had a bad Strength and Conditioning coach, but then I thought that maybe the injuries are actually caused by poor play. In other words players are so out of position during a play that they end up running into each other and thus becoming injured. I'm not sure what can be done about that.
Fire all of the coaches, waterboys, janitors, and receptionists. Flatten all of their houses and spread salt on the lots. Terminate all of the contracts of current players. Flatten their houses too.

Ultimately, just start everything over from scratch.

Or, just bring in Dan Reeves to take a look at the operation and make some recommendations on the coaching staff as well as the off-season strength and conditioning program.

*sigh*

I'm just a fan. I don't know much except that there is only so much talent to go around in the NFL. You've got some premier talent on some premier teams (maybe 6 of 32 teams) and most everyone else (say 26 of 32 teams) is reasonably equal in terms of depth and talent. Yes, I know that I'm painting with a very broad brush here.

So, if you're not a premier team in any given year, what makes the difference? What gets you over the hump? Staying healthy and keeping what talent you do have on the field and not turning the ball over. How do you do that?

Injuries during the season are unavoidable, but based on the amount of injuries that we have, I think that the organization needs to re-evaluate what they are doing in the offseason. Maybe everything is great with our s&c prgram and the injuries are just unfortunate circumstance. But maybe there is room for improvement on either helping to prevent some injuries or in getting some players back on the field faster.

IMO, turnovers are one of those things that coaching can help to offset. I think that we need some help in our coaching department. Our offense is blah. Our defense is vanilla. If there is only so much talent out there, you have to be able to coach up what talent you do have. So far, I think that this coaching staff has done the opposite and that (particularly on defense) the defense has been coached down BELOW what their talent would indicate that they are capable of.

Which ties in with what BRT said - perhaps the coaches (in addition to not getting the guys ready in the offseason) aren't coaching the players well enough to keep them out of bad positions to keep from getting injured....

*disclaimer: the post above is strictly loose opinion and the author does not consider himself an authority on much of anything other than perhaps how to keep from cursing in front of his children during a Texans loss.*