Thread: Mario Williams
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007   #80
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Stats aside, there is an overall game to consider.

Mario's reputation as a run stuffer is highly questionable, and teams frequently block him - successfully - with tight ends.

Plug in Ferguson for Salaam and maybe Pitts plays better and the Texans might actually be able to run consistently, even in games that they pass well. This is supposed to be a running based attack, and they've had too many weak running games.
From my own viewing I think Mario plays well against the run when he recognizes the play and doesn't run himself out of it. He can definitely get better, and judging from what I've seen so far he will continue to get better. As far as blocking him with a tight end goes.... he has the fourth highest sack total in the AFC, maybe they should think of some different ways to go about blocking him.

So with Ferguson, maybe he gives us a little more in the ground game. We give up half of our pass rush. Overall game considered, I just don't see a net gain from Ferguson over Mario.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote