View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007   #25
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Guess What?

Just thought I'd check in with all the people who chewed me out over the off-season, during the big message board celebration over signing Ahman Green.

I poured water on everyone's birthday candles and told them that this wasn't exactly a "lock."

I didn't drink the Kool Aid, and I paid for it. Boy, I tell you what...the DD situation, the David Carr situation, it just all has led me to be a lot more critical and unbiased about this team.

I used to be a rah-rah guy, always thrilled when I was told we had landed the big fish that would get us one step ahead from where we had been. But, time and poor signings have cured that sickness.

Call me a Debbie Downer (whah, whah, whaaaa)...but we sure do seem to find the most chronically injured players. Granted, nobody knew about DD and it was just a deal of finding it out along with DD as he found out about his condition. But Tony Boselli and Ahman Green are head scratchers.

And don't tell me Ahman was never really hurt before he got here. One poster here, can't remember who, but he had visited the Packers board where they were thrilled Ahman was gone--Something to the effect of posts like this, "Where was Ahman when we always needed him? On the sideline. Hurt. Again. The guy is always AWOL at just the right times."

Face it, we got sucker-punched. Again.

I'm just in a state of numbness about Texans football. I don't hate the team, but I don't love them, either.

I'm not going anywhere. I've been an Oilers fan since I was about 9 (I'm 31 now)...and I've never rooted for any other team. In fact, my favorite teams are all the Houston teams. I ran out my door when we won the NBA title, fell onto the ground and thrust my arms into the air, screaming "THANK YOU GOD!" over and over under a beautiful Texas sky when we finally found a way to get past years and years of losing to either the Suns or the Sonics in all those playoff humiliations. I cried like a baby when they cameras showed Biggio and the team in the dugout, all the eyes on Biggio and Bags as they just sort of looked at each other and smiled during the NLCS when we went to the WS.

I calmly walked out, on a snowy day out in the country on our farm (near Lubbock) and proceeded to beat the trunk of a tree with a baseball bat when Frank Reich rallied the Bills to beat the Oilers...a year where we probably would have won it all. I was in high school at the time, and I actually begged my parents to let me stay home from school so that I wouldn't face the torment of all my classmates who knew that my team had just choked on Sunday in the biggest game of MY life.

I have just reached a place of contentment, probably due to my age, whereby I no longer let it control me. I wasn't upset about our Browns loss last Sunday. I expected it. I mentally prepare myself for the inevitable meltdown.

Which is why I will be crying like a baby WHEN we finally get over the top as Texans fans. But until then, I just watch in a state of acceptance: We will get there when we get there. The Pats stunk FOREVER until recently.

It takes a long time.