View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007   #26
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who's going to be the new OC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start On # 69 View Post
For what its worth . John McClain was saying Sunday that it might be Kyle Shanahan . He said that he thinks he will take the OC job here , then move on to Denver as OC for a couple of years , and eventually take over Daddy's job as head coach . He also said that he has a reputation as one of the good up and coming young coaches in the NFL . I wouldn't mind that . No college coaches please .
I can see that.

As I've said before, I've seen Shanahan talk football, and he impresses. He looks so young, but that fades away when you hear him talk.

Here's some pluses and minuses:

1. He can translate what Kubiak wants for his offense better than just about anyone else. Out of the staff there, probably only TE coach Brian Pariani is the only other person who as familiar with the Denver style of things.

2. The players like what he does.

The downside:

1. I think he would be a waste in the booth. He is of great help to Kubiak on the sidelines. I don't know who they would get to replace his role there as far as telling people what they are missing or what they needed to do on a particular route.

2. Inexperience. If stuff hits the fan on the offensive side of the ball, the Texans will no longer have the cover of saying "hold the course, our offensive coordinator knows what he is doing." He won't have much of a safety net if things go bad--his fault or not.

On the offensive side of the ball, I am not sure if I should have confidence in what oline coach John Benton is doing now that Sherman is gone. Sherman was in charge of the oline last year, and Benton had it this year. Don't know enough to have an opinion.