Thread: Walter Jones
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2005   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we've seen the last of the good old days in terms of cap space for the Texans. Carr's base salary jump in '05 alone (5 million) is more than the team cap number increase this year (the number was about 80.6 million last year).

This is Carr's option year. If the Texans choose to exercise the last three years of his contract as I expect they will, he will receive an 8 million bonus and base salaries of 5.25 million in '06 and '07 and 6 million in '08.

Then there's our own FAs that have to be signed as 88 said. Plus Milford Brown, Faggins, Troy Evans and J Wells are all RFAs that will probably be tendered. I would expect that they will make a run at Sears, DeLoach, Simmons, Payne, Norris, and possibly McCree.

I expect Kenny Wright and Bradford to be gone (no cap hit).

Eric Brown and/or Jay Foreman could be released (there would be dead money cap hits involved on both)

Steve McKinney counts nearly 4 million on the cap this year and he seriously needs to rework his deal with something more cap friendly if he wants to stick around (something that is incentive based - not a Wimpy hamburger deal)

Wiegert is about 3.5 million.

Glenn is over 5 million.

Sharper (over 6 million) and Wong (around 4.5) are in the final year of their contracts. The Texans may have to make a choice between the two after this season.

And then there's the huge Walker, Wade and Smith deals from last year. What were they thinking on Walker?

Plus there's the ~3.5 million or so that needs to be there for the rookie pool (for signing the draft choices).

Anyway, the point is that it all adds up.

I may be totally wrong but I'm thinking that we won't go after any Tier 1 UFAs, i.e., Walter Jones or Shaun Alexander this off-season.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote