Thread: Howdy pards!
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Howdy pards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
You should have lived in Houston during the Oiler days. You would have realized how the fans loved the team. That's all I can say.
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanbuoy View Post
Again I don't want this to turn into a thread debating who's to blame for the Oilers' departure. But as a fan from a far, rightly or wrongly I've always placed part of the blame on the fans in Houston for failing to appreciate the Oilers fully while they were there. When the Browns moved from Cleveland the fans and city went ape****, when the Oilers left Houston I didn't notice a similar outcry coming from Texas. Through my eyes, Houston didn't fight for their franchise in the same manner as the people of Cleveland (they didn't even put up a fight to keep the name and history the way Browns' fans did). I'm fully aware this is just my opinion and not cut in stone facts. I realize you have a completely different perspective on this and again please let's not turn my first thread into a debate over this, let's just leave that fight for another time.

And yes the fact that the Texans are now a division rival (or at least attempting to be) only fuels my disdain for the team.
Read up on your old team before you starting spouting nonsense.

"Oiler Blues: The Story of Pro Football's Most Frustrating Team" by John Pirkle is a good place to start. Education is the key to avoid being ignorant.

Oiler fans were NEVER given a chance to rally for the team. Some lame, half-hearted attempt AFTER Dud had already sealed the deal is what keeps getting mentioned. No amount of fan protests would have mattered at the end of the day.

You fail to comprehend that Dud had no desire to work with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, wanted the land DONATED to him by the city, and wanted a 100% taxpayer financed stadium that he controlled ALL rights to. Dud could give a rat's ass about his team's history and the loyalty of the city towards his franchise. His only obligation has always been to his bank account, so instead of working with local leaders like other football owners do to build a stadium and continue the tradition, he slithered out of town to the best offer available. He couldn't even have the balls to keep the name, and didn't have the soul to give up the name that he covered up. What does that say about his character, or rather, lack of?

We were already paying for $60 million+ in renovations to the Astrodome, which were the result of Dud threatening to move the team to Jacksonville. We are STILL paying those bonds today. Most civilized folks call that extortion.

See, not actually being here to LIVE IT gives you the typical media brainwashing of assumptions and generalizations. It's sad, really, because you act like we share some kind of history together, but in reality, you only try to demean Houston football fans while promoting a slimeball owner.

Fine, you hate the Texans. Whatever. Big deal. Just another troll on a Texans board as far as most of us are concerned. I'm glad a 'fan' like you moved on with the sleaze. You wouldn't have the class to be one of our own.