View Single Post
Old 01-13-2005   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This is turning into a good thread.

A few comments on some of this stuff…

Aaron Glenn: I think some of the fans are being a bit tough on Glenn. I think that the Glenn's cover skills are still starting quality and the rule changes just made it harder to play the CB position. Add in the fact that we had the worst pass rush in the NFL last year and the natural result is that you are just going to give up some yardage and TD's. No cornerbacks in the NFL really 'shut-down' anybody last year. Look at Champ Bailey and all the trouble he had. He is considered the most elite corner in the NFL and got lit up all year. He didn't lose a step. He had to fight the new rules just like Glenn did.

Signing Cheatwood: We still need talent at OLB. We will continue to bring in talent every year so the Cheatwood signing is just another sign that we have a top front office and scouting staff. We are taking a look at the leading sack artist in the CFL in Cheatwood. There are 31 other NFL teams that he could have signed with. We got him here. If he pans out it will be a huge signing. If not, we don't lose a pick, just some of Bob's cash.

Inside push. When the defese cannot don't blow up the pocket from the inside it makes it very easy for the Offensive Tackles to block speed rushers. Does anyone notice that the pocket is the safest place for a QB? Once your QB is flushed then it is impossible to keep a offensive lineman between the QB and his pursuer. We had poor inside push from our front 3 last year. Better push = more sacks. Ask David Carr.

Wade Phillips Vs Vic Fangio: Wade Phillips has a scheme that leaves less men in coverage and puts more men in the pass rush. Caper's has stated many times that he is trying to develop a team that brings heat from 4 rushers like the Colts do. Has it been pretty? No, I don't think so because I am fairly confident that we do not have the front 7 that is capable of this kind of set-up in years one though three. We will upgrade our front-7 this off-season and the Cheatwood signing shows me that they are attacking this problem on multiple levels. Once we have a little more talent in our front-7 Caper's may get a rush as good as the Colts get with their 4 rushers and occasional random blitz.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote