View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005   #70
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3
The reality is that the Texans "gave up" in at least 4 games this year. If it's apparent to the coaches, the broadcasters, & the players, I'm on pretty safe ground in that part of my assessment.
I don't recall a coach or player saying they gave up all year--played poorly, not as well as they should, etc. yes but not gave up. Broadcasters are people paid to fill time--one of the 610 am guys the other day said Joppru was the Texans worst draft pick the other day not because he hasn't played but because the Texans had no need for a TE--yeah, I am respecting their opinion.

Quote:
I picked a few stats, with about 30 sec. worth of research, to dispute the "fact" that this team has done nothing but progress this year.
Didn't realize your point was that not everything had progressed. Even so, if individual stats go down (identifying areas to work on) but the important ones, including the most important one W's v. L's goes up, I have to give the team as a whole a progress check mark. Is that different than what you are saying?

Quote:
Using that logic, if turnovers are the most important factor, why weren't the Texans better than 7-9? We made a +10 change in TO margin, but only finished 2 games better?
This isn't a matter of logic at all, it is a matter of fact--there is no single stat that better predicts the winner of a game than turnover margin in that game--a single +1 turnover margin in a game predicts the winner over 75% of the time which is way higher than 400 yd passers, 100 yd rushers, or any other stat I have seen. The Texans defied the odds a couple of times this year and lost anyway, but a +10 change is a huge improvement (especially considering starting the season 0-2 despite other pretty good stats but being -7 on TO's) and certainly contributed to the two extra wins this season.

Quote:
Did the Texans make SOME progress this year? Of course they did! I still question why a team with significantly LESS injuries than the year before, gave up on themselves in so many games. ... I'm really NOT into doom & gloom, but I also refuse to "pump sunshine up the arse" to make some really bad items look rosy when they're not.
I see insufficient evidence to conclude the Texans gave up on themselves but that is a subjective decision everyone gets to make. There are certainly plenty of areas needing serious improvement through conscientious study/work by players, coaching and personnel decisions for serious improvement next year. And I am not here to pump sunshine anywhere, but neither do I let high hopes become expectations, that become frustration when not met--not saying you in particular, but more to a lot of folks around here, especially the ones riding a high after Jax and a low after Cleveland.