View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005   #66
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
JMO, but this sentiment is more a result of expectation than reality. And while they faced some of the "worst" defenses the Texans also faced all the best offenses including Indy twice--if you are going to factor one in you have to factor both into evaluating the team.
The reality is that the Texans "gave up" in at least 4 games this year. If it's apparent to the coaches, the broadcasters, & the players, I'm on pretty safe ground in that part of my assessment.

Quote:
On the stats you give--are you really saying PR & KR are serious indicators of progress/regression? Sacks I will give you and that is the #1 off-season issue to be addressed in some fashion IMO.
I picked a few stats, with about 30 sec. worth of research, to dispute the "fact" that this team has done nothing but progress this year.

Quote:
Turnover margin: 2003 -5 25th, 2004 +5 12th

At the end of the day turnovers are the single greatest stat indicator for winning and regardless of the yards produced or given up the score matters more. In all of these categories the Texans made significant strides forward.
Using that logic, if turnovers are the most important factor, why weren't the Texans better than 7-9? We made a +10 change in TO margin, but only finished 2 games better?

Better yet, please explain why these teams made the playoffs with WORSE TO margins than the Texans: Atlanta, Minnesota, Denver, Green Bay & St. Louis. That 5/12 playoff teams. Conversely, 2 of the top 5 TO margin teams aren't in the playoffs.

Did the Texans make SOME progress this year? Of course they did! I still question why a team with significantly LESS injuries than the year before, gave up on themselves in so many games. That's an issue that needs to be addressed before we start picking up FA & signing any more draftees! If it's a coaching issue, or lack of trust between players / coaches, then it's a larger issue than the O-Line, or anything else.

I'm really NOT into doom & gloom, but I also refuse to "pump sunshine up the arse" to make some really bad items look rosy when they're not.
disaacks3 is online now   Reply With Quote