View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005   #57
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
Vinny, you keep repeating over and over that it takes 5 years to build an NFL team from scratch. And 3 years to turn an existing franchise around? I respectfully disagree with you. I think it can be done in 3 years and 1 to 3 years. The latter depends on a lot of variables. Each situation would be different. The same goes for building a team from scratch. Different approaches will yield different results. We obviously didn't put the offensive line high on our priorities. Please don't bring up Boselli.
I do think it takes about 4 drafts & FA signings to field a playoff team from scratch. Most drafts produce one to three starters. There are 22 starters on a football team plus you need high caliber reserves to man your special teams. This isn't the NBA where you can get 2 players and remake your team completely, or MLB where you can sign 2 pitchers and a slugger and turn your team around on the field.

If you think the 2003 Texans had talent on par with any of the playoff teams you are sadly mistaken. We had no depth at all, had journeymen starters at several positions, and still needed to upgrade at least a dozen roster spots. No way you can compete in two years from scratch, unless you get incredibly lucky or have a free agent situation like the Panthers had several years ago. In 2004 we are statistically middle of the pack in many key areas. In three years we have built a team that is good as half the NFL. I'm pretty ok with that.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote