View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Williams...a poor man's Julius Peppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Umm...

I think there's plenty relevance to that "slow-twitch" "fast-twitch" talk...
No theres not. I already thought we settled this medically?

Mario's workout performances completely invalidate any of the slow-twitch fast-twitch crap that permeated the media for a while

Slow twitch muscle are aerobic, slow fatiguing, high strength muscles and fast twitch muscles are anaerobic, quickly fatiguing, quick bursts of energy muscles.

Mario would never have been able to put up his combine numbers if he was predominately a "slow-twitch" kind of guy.

Additionally, EVERYone has both types. At most, you may posses 75-80% of one type, but everyone has both. And there is good evidence that the numbers switch depending on what you train for.

I simply don't buy into the fast twitch slow twitch medical prognosis on Mario Williams. I've seen him fly off the ball, and I've seen him get pancaked from being too slow. I dont think muscle fiber has anything to do with it. I think its primarily football instict, and thats something Mario doesnt seem to have yet

If you want to speculate that his muscles use the wrong energy source and therefore he'll never be a great pass rusher, thats your own perogative. But the fact that he can dominate one game and then disappear the next screams technique, motivation, and instinct to me. I believe my eyes, not some sports writers whose job it is to critique the Texans every move