View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005   #47
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 267781 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Dan was a classic 70's style QB. Big arm and lots of deep, deep downfield passing. Look up the stats for Joe Namath if you want some reference to passing yardage totals in relation to Dan's. Namath averaged 2125 yards per year in his career.
It was a completely different era and I think that's lost on a lot of fans these days. The passing game was there of course but it was nowhere near as complex as it is today and no team in my admittedly fuddled memory relied on the pass to the extent that they do today with maybe the exception of Dan Fouts and the San Diego Chargers.

Quote:
Pastorini was beat to death behind some miserable lines and he never produced big time stats but he had a fantastic deep ball, and was a fantastic leader. Pastorini knows what he is talking about. You don't have to play the position like Johnny Unitas in order to have an opinion on quarterbacking.
Dan's arm and that "fantastic deep ball" were the reason Al Davis traded for him if I remember correctly. The Raiders loved the bomb back in those days and Stabler wasn't able to do that anymore (not that he was ever the threat to go deep that Pastorini was). Pastorini went to the Raiders and was the starter before going down with a broken leg. Jim Plunkett stepped in and the rest was history. I've often wondered what would have happened that year if Pastorini hadn't been injured early. Would the Raiders have still gone to the Super Bowl? Would Pastorini have gotten a ring? Would Dan Pastorini had the kind of resurgence that Plunkett had late in his career?

We'll never know but I agree with you Vinny on one thing. Dan Pastorini can talk about the QB position all he wants. He earned it.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote