View Single Post
Old 01-07-2005   #8
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
... I think the problems with our pass rush can be laid at the feet of our Dline. a more dominant Dline would tie up olines better, and free up our OLBs...
I agree, but I would add a comment. The Texans use the 3-4 as their base, but freely switch to a 4-2 (with the D-line operating as a 4-3 ie. 2 DEs and 2 DTs) when they go to nickle. Because teams will frequently pass on first down as well as 'passing situations' (ie. when the D is in nickle), the Texans need to generate pss rush with both 3 DL and 2 OLB and with 2 DEs and 2DTs.

In addition, in modern football with a lot of specialization, D lineman often share reps. Accordingly, when the Texans activate 5 DL on gameday, they could have some DL who specialize as 4-2 pass rush DTs (like Walker) and some who are more suited as 3-4 DL (like Payne), although of course, they can still fill in reps in the other substitution packages.

I guess what I'm saying is that while the Texans use 3 DT type 2-gap DL to swallow blockers in the 3-4, they could really use a penetrating DT to use with Walker when they are in their nickle packages. Push up front will result in the most disruption of the offense and sacks.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote