View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007   #100
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Interesting SI Article on VY

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
VY has said on regular occassions he does play for the first professional Houston football team. He is putting himself into a pretzel on this one in my opinion and I don't understand why. From what I have seen, I disagree with you completely. VY is a Houstonian and a proud Texan. I am amazed we are even discussing this.
We are discussing this because YOU brought the subject up like it means something.

So what, he's from Houston. Is that actually supposed to be a basis for drafting the guy? I am amazed that you drop all pretension of football knowledge to be a homer for the guy.

Quote:
I don't have an answer for this one except to say playing at Texas is not that much of a strech for a native Houstonian.

I think you are reaching on this one.
Reaching for what? YOU keep stating that being a native Houstonian should mean something to the Texans, like Young has some blood honor to represent the city. If it meant that much to him, then why not stay in the city and represent the college that bears the name? I don't care that he went to Texas, and I don't blame him for doing so. But please don't try to make it out like he's such a hometown hero when he skipped out and went to Austin.

Your logic fails you here, because there is no spoon. I merely used your own argument against you, and as you see, there's not much sense in it to begin with.

Quote:
Well, if Mack Brown had imployed that philosophy he wouldn't have a National Championship with 2 amazing Rose Bowl victories.

Sometimes, you take the best player that gives you the best chance and build around that. Talk about being stuck in a box.

If Kubiak is that myopic, then we are probably in trouble. Thinking in new terms/concepts is more important than trying to prove an old model.

Example, Mario Williams. We picked for a position/situation and not the players involved.
Wha.....? Mack Brown redesigned his offense to take advantage of Young's strengths. Guess what? It was not a pro-style offense that he implemented.

Kubiak runs a version of the WCO, heavy on timing patterns. While there is certainly room for alteration, I don't think scrapping your entire offensive philosophy for one player is very wise.

And let's leave the straw man argument of Mario out of the discussion. Your cheap shot was unwarranted when talking about OFFENSIVE schemes and an offensive player like Young.

You have an agenda, and it is more and more obvious with each post you type. The 2006 draft is water under the bridge. The sooner you accept that reality, the sooner you can stop your myopic takes on this subject.