View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007   #88
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Interesting SI Article on VY

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
This thing just keeps getting more & more silly.

Matt Lineart had a far better season last year (as a QB) than VY. I'm just sorry that he didn't "inspire" his defense to as many scores as the Titans so we could put this to rest already. If you think that VY looked more NFL-ready than Lineart last year, please don't bother responding to this post, for we will likely NEVER agree on even basic points.

I'm not ready to annoint Lineart as having HoF-potential yet because of one good year. I'm also not ready to throw VY "under the bus" for a less-than-stellar year.

A good NFL QB takes time to develop & mature. Most "ride the pine" for at least a year before being thrown into the starting lineup. The more work they need fundamentally, the longer they usually take to adjust.

All the rah-rah in the world eventually wears off at the NFL level. I do believe that teams can take on the persona of a particular player, but, ultimately it's a team sport.

Did Bradshaw inspire the Steel Curtain?
How about Staubach & the Doomsday?
Was the Indy defense BAD because Peyton Manning wasn't a leader until last year?

VY has been a winner at every level, but this is USUALLY the case for starters in the NFL. These guys are the BEST of the BEST in their profession, else they usually go the USFL, XFL, Arena League, etc.

If you're really a fan of VY, give him a few years to see what he CAN do. Telling the rest of us that he's the greatest QB ever (based on last year) makes us want to hurl. Stop watching highlight reel footage and watch the WHOLE game...the guy needs some work, don't break his back trying to live up to this "walk-on-water" persona that he himself helped invent.
Well if you actually read my post back to you'd see that I never said he was the greatest QB ever or that my opinion was based on highlights. In fact I was realistic about expectations this year and what has transpired this year. Its alright though because I'm used to hyperbole to make points that were NEVER addressed.

As for the defense. AGAIN, you are doing the same thing you are claiming VY fans are doing. The defense was the worst rated D in the NFL. The point wasn't that he inspired them to be better all the time...they weren't a good unit and had one big game. The point is that a winning attitude, something we are starting to develop finally, rubs off on other player. PacMan and othwers stepped up. And YES, I believe the defenses of old could pin their ears back and play better knowing that the offense was going to put up points and allow them to do their thing. You hear players interviewed all the time say that they knew they could do their job because the other side was getting theirs done.

No one claimed it was "rah-rah." Its called leadership and you are missing the boat completely if you don't think it exists in the NFL and that other players don't gravitate towards others.

But keep going, I'm sure this will turn into someone hating Kubiak and some of us walking around with VY on our cars

BTW, I like Leinart too and I like Cutler but the conversation isn't about them. Leinart also had the same ratio of INTS to TDS as VY but one less of each...11/12 and 12/13. I like his receivers much better too.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 08-20-2007 at 01:33 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote