Originally Posted by Marcus
1. "We're among the top 10 offensive lines in the NFL"
2. "There's one or two guys that play on the Colts OL who couldn't start for us."
-- Steve McKinney, 610 AM, 1/4/05
1. Ben Wilkerson, L.S.U.
2. Jason Brown, North Carolina
3. Vince Carter, Oklahoma
4. Greg Eslinger, Minnesota *
5. Scott Mruczkowski, Bowling Green
6. Donovan Raiola, Wisconsin *
By most accounts that I've seen, McKinney is rated as one of the top centers in the NFL, usually rated at about 9 or 10. The big knock on him is that he occassionally gets man-handled by the bigger DT's and NT's.
I really like Raiola, but I do have one concern. Look at his numbers - he is a McKinney clone. If he gets bigger, and he needs at least 20 more pounds, will he lose some of his quickness and mobility.
This is why I'm beginning to like the idea of taking a chance on Wilkerson. Players almost always come back from his type of injury and the repaired knee is often stronger than before. But before his injury he was rated as the number one center and seems to have all thats required to zone block in our system. What I really like is he's intelligent and "excels at making all the line calls".
I like him for pick 3B, but will he be available?