View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Pep Band" = Embarrassment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Tahoe View Post
Here's my problem with this "Pep Band". We are striving (and struggling) to build a winning franchise that is looked at as a first-class organization. To achieve this first-class franchise, we need to BE first-class both on and off the field. Having a bunch of goofy middle aged men acting like buffoons is counterproductive towards that goal. They act like clowns because, well, that's exactly what they are... CLOWNS. Is that they type of tradition we want to be associated with as we build this franchise... a clown tradition? Do you think the Colts have a congregation of clowns on the first row at the RCA Dome? I don't, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. We're talking about the "Big Time". "The League". "The NFL". Not some second rate deal. Do we want to synonymous with second-rate? I sure don't. The price I paid for my PSLs/Season Tickets sure isn't "second-rate". Just last night there were a couple of Bears fans right in front of me. I overheard them talking/laughing about our "band" earlier. Later, after the announcement that they were going to play at half time, one of them turns around and asks me something like "Which 2A high school did you guys find them at?".
So is it the fact that they play instruments and music at the games that makes you think they are buffoons or is it some other behavior that you didn't mention? If it's just because they are a band, then I think you make a very weak argument. Having a pep band, IMO, does not make us a 2nd rate organization. The Washington Redskins have a full-fledged marching band. Does the fact that they a band 3 or 4 times the size of the Texans pep band make them a 2nd rate organization? Does the fact that the Seattle Seahawks raise a flag with the #12 signifying that the fans are the 12th man make them a 2nd class organization because that tradition is more in line with college standards than with NFL ones? I think if you took a poll of Texans fans, most would have a favorable view of the pep band.

Thanks to Premier