View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007   #11
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My First FFB Team of the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I'm not big into fantasy football but why not take Palmer or Smith in the first round?
A couple of reasons.

1. Opportunity cost. The theory says that the premium placed on limited top-tier RB talent outweighs that at WR, or even QB (yes, even Peyton). To prove this to yourself, try a couple of free mock drafts online -- The Sporting News is a good way to go. Takes about 15-20 minutes per total mock draft. Pick Peyton in round 1 in one of them, and then try to solve your RB problem. In the other pick a top-notch RB in round 1, and do whatever it is you do the rest of way. Compare the teams.

Personally, I subscribe to this theory. I'd rather have 2 solid RBs than a solid RB and then a WR. Check out the EA Sports Texans Fantasy Football Draft thread over in the Texans Tailgate, to see our current fantasy draft. Look at Hutto Karl's 1st 2 round draft choices -- Rudi Johnson and then Willie Parker. Then look at the rest of his team thus far. It kinda proves the point about going RB early. His team is stacked. (HK- if you are reading, I'm still going to give you a good ol' fashioned country whuppin'.)

2. Now, all of that said, point #1 is diminished somewhat if QB TD's count the same as that of position players. ie, 6 points. Then, you may want to think about a QB in round 2. IMHO

I guess I'd like to close with this thought: everyone has their own ideas about what makes a great fantasy football draft strategy. It's what sells the mags, I suppose. Anyway, these are simply my thoughts, and I make no pretense that these are the end-all, be-all to draft strategy. However, my strategy has served me well over the years.

Anyway, I love fantasy football. Great fun, especially if you have a great crew of smashmouth trash-talking guys (and gals). Good luck.

Best,
Rick
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote