Originally Posted by treygar
not that it matters, but as a texanstalk veteran that felt very slighted and miffed at the new regime and demise of the old texanstalk setup, i'm back for a few reasons.
1. this is the best Texans messageboard, this is something I've always said and I'm sure the refugees here from the official board have come to learn that Hookem's site is the best.
2. i built small friendships and relationships with some of you folks, and i don't want those to go away especially since i plan to attend a few tailgates this coming season.
3. i need to talk football somewhere.
now, a quick recap of why i left and such -
1. Rep points/power - whatever that is, to me is more of a popularity thing than anything - i'm above high school hijinks of that sort and it just pains me to see such stuff on what I view to be a laid back environment (or what was a laid back environment, I'm not sure if there are annoying trolls on this site or not I haven't even lurked here).
2. post counts - though not really a big deal to me, in fact if you think your post count makes you a better fan, person, or a more important member of the texanstalk community then you need to wake up and smell the tortas because it is really an insignificant thing as far as I'm concerned. i just like seeing well thought out opinions and posts and friendly banter, be it contradictory or otherwise. that i'm gonna have to start over even though i've been doing this with texanstalk what seems like ages is not a problem - but that I guess others got to have the post counts they achieved on another messageboard is what irked me the most, but whatever, its not my decision i'll live with it.
3. moderators - i don't particularly like the new mods for a variety of my own personal reason, i'm hoping they will be fair and not give me any problems as I've never attacked anyone other than Harry in good fun in the past. (is he still around by the way, again I haven't been here in ages.)
so yeah, i'm back I'm ready for the season and hope to be at the KC game or as many SA meetups as I can make.
Glad you are back.
As to your points:
1. The rep system really shouldn't be considered a high school popularity thingy. At least for me, it's handy if you want to give someone a thanks for something that they did for the MB community. It's also nice if you see something really thoughtful that someone wrote, and you don't want to clutter the thread with a gee, I totally agree. Sometimes I see it as the lazy way to say something to someone without PMing them.
It also serves as a minor way that the Texans community can police itself.
2. If you want a post count that reflects how you were at the old TT.com, contact Vinny and he can give you your old post totals back based on your estimate. Kinda low tech, but it is the easiest way to do that.
3. With more people here than at the old TT, it can lead to more conflicts and trolls because a lot of the people don't know each other very well. Which takes away some of the laid back vibe. The mods try to make this a place where people can express their views on stuff without feeling like they are being attacked personally. I'm not sure of the exact nature of your problem with various mods, but I think for most folks, they don't really notice the moderation other than trying to keep the forums organized.
There's a number of subforums here where people get a little more goofy, like in the tailgate forum and rival forum.
Hopefully, eventually this will feel more like a home for you.