Thread: Casserly
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005   #14
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbourda
No doubt. It all starts with the O-line in my opinion ... Not saying the overall unit is bad but something be it personel, coordinators, and/or scheme has to be seriously over hauled. I'm sorry, Carr has done an exceptional job the past three years considering what he had to work with in front of him...
Don't forget Carr's responsibility for the O-line ...

1) Carr is generally responsibile for the offense being in the right play;
2) Carr is also partially responsible for line calls. If he's making the wrong line calls, then the O-line isn't productive, but it's Carr's fault;
3) Each pass play has a timing. For example, some call for a three, five or seven step drop. If you are in a three step drop, the ball MUST come out after three steps (if the WRs aren't open, then it's their fault). For example, an O-linemen may cut his D-lineman on a three step drop, to get the D-linemans hands down to create a throwing lane. If the ball isn't thrown, the O-lineman can't get up and continue blocking. It's too late.

I think Carr is improving and is going to be a star. I think the O-line 'looked' horrible today. What I don't know is how to spread the blame around. To be fair, Carr may not be doing a perfect job of helping the O-line, with audibles, line calls and execution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbourda
... Not saying the overall unit is bad but something be it personel, coordinators, and/or scheme has to be seriously over hauled ...
I agree that more work needs to be done. I don't know how much improvement can be expected out of this group with another year under their belts. Perhaps some personnel change is necessary, but don't except a bunch of new guys who come in and all play like superstars. Every team constantly wants to improve their O-line and there is no guarantee that drafting a player will result in a dramatically improved line. I'm very pleased with the draft of Carr, Johnson and Robinson (and much later Babin). I'm glad we took them and not an O-lineman, although each year you keep adding and at some point the best player will be and O-lineman.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote