View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007   #4
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: SA Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMBH View Post
Is it appeasing Jerry or the Cowboys having a massive advertising/promo campaign in the city? I saw over the weekend that the Cowboys are hosting a big free fan party prior to training camp at the Alamo Dome with Jerry, Wade, players, cheerleaders, mascot and a popular entertainment group. When pulling out all of the stops in that fashion, it isn't surprising the media and fan support received.

The Texans need to make an effort to compete for a share of that market.
If the Cowboys are doing all this they will gain fans. Most small kids get their first taste of a team at events like this. Their parents have a large deal of influence on who they root for, but even if a casual fan takes a child to such an event it will leave it's foot prints on the child. The Texans do need to do more out reach to bring in the kids. I have always rooted for the home team but that probable started as a desire to root for the underdog. I started watching football @1976, when I was 10. I think it was atleast partly because of my father, but i also think it was partly because of having friends that were Steeler and Cowboy fans. I was out numbered even then. The Texans don't seem to reach out very far. I haven't even heard much about their attemps this offseason. I live 30 minutes from downtown to the East off of I-10 but still end up going to the Woodlands or the stadium to see anything to do with the Texans. The Texans do hold some very good events at the stadium and I am thankful that training camp is right at the stadium complex but it would be nice if they did do more out reach in other areas. It doesn't take much for some young one to be turned from a fence sitter that wants to root for the Texans but goes to a Cowboy event in SA to decide to throw his fanship onto the "other" team.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote