View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007   #26
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Guess Mac really wanted VY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
"An experienced agent, someone like a Leigh Steinberg might have made the case in JANUARY to the Texans that VY by any measure should be the first pick in the draft and as worth giving up on Carr"
Oh it's now VYs agents fault that the Texans didn't draft him ? That's downright silly. Its the Texans fault, nobody elses that they held on to Carr and passed on VY. That kind of statement might make you the supreme apologists for the bumbling incompetence of the Texans in the 2006 Draft.
Now I'm not a big Reggie Bush fan - yet. But obviously he's looking much better than what we got so far. But to blame bad-timing (really another way of saying bad-luck), is also silly. Didn't seem to stop the Saints from quickly making the smart decision ? I think it has more to do with being overly prudent and too tentative and too risk aversive.
I have to wonder where the man was who effectively and decisively dealt with the shrewd and evil corporate bad guys like Ken Lay & Jeff Skilling at the former energy titan Enron when negotiating a sweet deal to cash out his Cogeneration business and become a billionaire in liquid terms ?
IMO that guy deserted Bob McNair big-time when he needed him most in terms of making the best decisions for his franchise during the 2006 NFL Draft.

I think the only thing you can blame the Texans for at this point is totally bungling the PR aspects of the 2006 draft and putting Mario Williams in a rich but horrible spot. No one knew any information about him, and to date, I am the only one on the planet who wrote anything in depth about his background and skills coming out of school. That reflects the trend toward dogpile journalism. The Chronicle and most of the fanbase was blindsided by the choice, and chose to slam him as a bust before he played a down.

The 2006 draft was completely mishandled in that regard. To me, it is too early to evaluate the players themselves.

I do not blame VY and his agent for the Texans not picking him. It's a factor that didn't help. I really really wanted the Texans to pick VY but I also knew that it would have been a wildly unconventional football move to take VY as the #1 QB. Remember, at the time, most people thought that he would just be a great hometown hero--there was no football people advocating that he should be the #1 pick in the draft. I was saying that I thought he was the BPA, but nobody consults with me. He needed an agent to bust the Texans doors down in January and make the case that VY was the BPA because there was an uphill battle to get rid of Carr--in January, VY's agent was more interested in getting $200 autographs signed at the Co-op.

(It also didn't help that Mike Vick had a down year that year. The NFL is a league of copy cats, and people were comparing VY to Vick, a comparison that I think is not accurate. Had Vick had a huge year, more people would have been advocating for VY).

I'm just saying that had he had better representation to advocate on his behalf immediately, he mighta had a chance to make the case that the Texans should do the wildly unconventional thing and chuck Carr and decide to go with a QB that some observers thought was the 3rd best QB coming out in 2006 and basically show their hand in February that they are not going with Bush.

The Texans picked up Carr's option right away, and got Carr working with Kubiak right away. To put VY's contract on top of that would have been crazy. And if we canned Carr in February, VY and his inexperienced agent would have impossibly big leverage over the team. Even before the combine and workouts and interviews. You would have to pick VY. I know a lot about negotiating deals, and that's about as much leverage as you could possibly have. No QBs on the roster and home town hero knows he has to be picked #1.

Call me an apologist, but it truly was the perfect storm of badness. I watched it as it was happening like a train wreck. Titans with the third pick and all.