View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007   #24
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Guess Mac really wanted VY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I'm tired of these assertions that it has been proven that the Texans made a mistake in 2006 by drafting Mario Williams. On the other hand, one of the areas of concern for Reggie Bush was validated when it was shown last season that he struggled to run between the Offensive Tackles. Critics of Mario Williams often point to his unimpressive statistics. Meanwhile, Vince Young was given nearly all the credit for the Titans success despite his pathetic statistics. And all of these conclusions are after only 1 season of performance to judge. I say, given time, we will all see how each of the top 3 picks of the 2006 draft really can perform.
As for the Saints, they tried to shop the 2nd Overal Draft pick to others just as the Texans had tried to shop the 1st and the Saints said the same thing that the Texans did, nobody made them an offer.
You have it backwards, drafting Reggie Bush would have been risk aversive. It takes real guts to draft someone you believe will make your team better that isn't the darling of the sports media. You look at the manner in which the Texans organization has been derided in the sports media since then and you're going to tell me they were risk aversive. Who took the bigger risk, the Texans or the Saints?
My comment about the Texans being risk aversive was in reference to allegations that the Texans balked at taking Bush because of issues involving his family and freebe rent from an agent. The truth is we may never know for sure what went down, but this is one of the more popular reported reasons for the Texans not taking Bush. I suppose its still possible they really preferred Mario ? I for one definitely dunno for sure ?
But what you say about Bush and his short comings is true, however what he could give us in terms of being a real 2nd home-run threat in addition to AJ and diverting some attention away from AJ as a slot-receiver would be very valuable to the team. But whether or not he becomes a "feature back" in the NFL is still very much an open question, you're right. But so far based on early returns, he and VY certainly have done better in this league than Mario.
But I hope Mario proves me wrong with a blazing sophomore year ! Please, please Mario make us all feel good about drafting you #1 in 2006. And its certainly far from being too late for him to demonstrate his potential as a premiere defensive player in this league.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote