View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007   #23
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Guess Mac really wanted VY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
"An experienced agent, someone like a Leigh Steinberg might have made the case in JANUARY to the Texans that VY by any measure should be the first pick in the draft and as worth giving up on Carr"
Oh it's now VYs agents fault that the Texans didn't draft him ? That's downright silly. Its the Texans fault, nobody elses that they held on to Carr and passed on VY. That kind of statement might make you the supreme apologists for the bumbling incompetence of the Texans in the 2006 Draft.
Now I'm not a big Reggie Bush fan - yet. But obviously he's looking much better than what we got so far. But to blame bad-timing (really another way of saying bad-luck), is also silly. Didn't seem to stop the Saints from quickly making the smart decision ? I think it has more to do with being overly prudent and too tentative and too risk aversive.
I have to wonder where the man was who effectively and decisively dealt with the shrewd and evil corporate bad guys like Ken Lay & Jeff Skilling at the former energy titan Enron when negotiating a sweet deal to cash out his Cogeneration business and become a billionaire in liquid terms ?
IMO that guy deserted Bob McNair big-time when he needed him most in terms of making the best decisions for his franchise during the 2006 NFL Draft.
I'm tired of these assertions that it has been proven that the Texans made a mistake in 2006 by drafting Mario Williams. On the other hand, one of the areas of concern for Reggie Bush was validated when it was shown last season that he struggled to run between the Offensive Tackles. Critics of Mario Williams often point to his unimpressive statistics. Meanwhile, Vince Young was given nearly all the credit for the Titans success despite his pathetic statistics. And all of these conclusions are after only 1 season of performance to judge. I say, given time, we will all see how each of the top 3 picks of the 2006 draft really can perform.

As for the Saints, they tried to shop the 2nd Overal Draft pick to others just as the Texans had tried to shop the 1st and the Saints said the same thing that the Texans did, nobody made them an offer.

You have it backwards, drafting Reggie Bush would have been risk aversive. It takes real guts to draft someone you believe will make your team better that isn't the darling of the sports media. You look at the manner in which the Texans organization has been derided in the sports media since then and you're going to tell me they were risk aversive. Who took the bigger risk, the Texans or the Saints?