Thread: Grilling
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Grilling

That Oklahoma Joe's charcoal pit in the attached pic is the one I have, with the cast iron grates. I highly recommend it, if you aren't up for a custom-created one.

What I prefer to do, if I am grilling, is to lay a nice bed of charcoal, let it ash over well, then put in whatever wood I am using - dry. I sear the meat over high heat, then set it aside off the fire to cook at about 300-325. Steaks and chops are great this way. BBQing is a completely different story, as is smoking. For the wood, I prefer pecan for links, mesquite for most beef, and apple or cherry for pork.

I have several different rubs and marinades that I use. I'll try to find time to post a few, but most of the time, I don't have exact measurements. There are a few that my sister has badgered me into measuring out, so I have those, but many are just approximations, based on feel, as well as my personal taste.

I do 90% of the cooking for my family, indoors and outdoors. It's something I am very passionate about and I am halfway decent at it as well