Thread: Grilling
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007   #8
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Grilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Cool, I'll check out the recipes. I guess I am moreso wondering what wood chips for flavoring, what kind of charcoal, ways to smoke, etc, etc. Pretty much the tailgater's version of BBQ'ing (as we only have a few hours to cook!).

I agree with ONLY using charcoal. It is so worth it to me.

I love to use pecan wood. My dad always brings me some when he comes to visit and I keep a limb of it in the garage and cut "pancake" size slices off of it. When the charcoal is about 5-10 minutes from being ready I throw the wood on the fire. It gives the meat a great flavor.

For chicken I put Tony Cactchetories (sp) Creole seasoning and garlic powder on both sides and rub it in real good like then submerge the meat in Jack Daniels grilling sauce or any bbq sauce and add a half of beer or little more to it plus a few tablespoons of Liquid Smoke. Stir it up and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes but up to a few hours. Throw the chicken on the hottest part of the fire, each side for about a minute and a half. This seers (sp) the flavor in the meat. Then back it off and slow cook on the cooler side (I only build the fire under half of the grill space, creating a "hot" and a "cool" side if you will) like at medium-low heat. Depending on how hot the fire is and how thick the meat is but usually is about another 6-8 minutes on each side at the lower temp. This gives the chicken time to soak up the smokey flavor. You have to keep your vents adjusted just right through trial and error on your pit to create a ton of smoke while keeping the fire hot.

This recipe has knocked the socks off of everyone I know.

I will share my recipes for steaks, burgers, and pork loin when I have more time.

The best grill in the world to me is a Weber, they kettle is made of porcelain and will last forever. I have had family members that had Webers for over a decade, the legs have rusted off and the handle on the lid is about gone but the pit keeps cooking.

Here's the one I have right now, it's a little small when I am cooking for a lot of people, they have one just like a little bigger though. I know, it's nothing big and fancy, but it is effective and it is all I need to make some kick arse food.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 07-08-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote