Thread: A Favor
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007   #34
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Favor

First let me say thanks to Texans Chick for putting in some much effort into covering our beloved TEXANS.

Here's what I posted on the subject:

Stephanie,

I have to agree, I don't care if people want to slam my team or not just know a little about the topic.

Everyone is entitled to speak their mind, and we have not won enough to win everyone's respect, and I would assume that is motivating factor for this year's team. But it too often sounds like the same ole regurgitated comments when ESPN talks about the Texans, maybe they should have incentive bonuses based on the amount of orginal thoughts they can conceive per day?

You want to talk about fair analysis. It is ESPN who breaks down each team with Ultimate Depth Chart or draft break downs. I would love for once to hear some with accuracy besides Micahel Smith (he is very well informed and obviously researches what he is talking about).

But just like twayne05 said, I heard Scherlerth state that we didn't draft any OL. We drafted 2 and brought in Jordan Black, who the same ESPN analyst (and I use that term loosely) called a "key loss" for the Chiefs. So why wasn't he a key acquisition for the Texans? We also drafted 2 last year, one of which was sky rocketing until his leg was broken early in the season. Charles Spencer would be his name, and what of Eric Winston from the same draft class who will probably start this year. Also, Mike Sherman returns as the O-Line coach for his second year, giving last year's draft class more time in the same system, with added talent this year.

I also watched Matt Schaub be called the best potential starter in the NFL that was currently a back-up since 2006. But the Texans pick him up and it's "risky" and he is "unproven". What about his quick decision making and his up-side that I heard so much about last year. I am not suggesting they start cheering us on, just how about a little consistency or saying there is an outside chance we won't be the worst team in the NFL.

How about talking about Owen Daniels, if I recall correctly he led the ALL rookie TE's with TD receptions. If that is not a positive note what is? That's a better season than Vernon Davis who we hear so much about....but that's right he was injured, as was Mario Williams but I guess since Mario didn't have a cracked fibula and didn't miss 6 games like Davis and played through the excruciating pain of almost season long plantar fantitis (or however you spell it)he gets zero recognition or better yet labeled a bust.

And then there is Demeco Ryans, you can call him DROY, he barely gets mentioned at all and if he does his performance is downplayed.

It is definitely not too much to ask a PAID sports writer to know a few facts about the team they are discussing or covering. Slam us all you want, fine by me, but at least know a few details and the direction of the team. Not the same ole regurgitated alsmost verbatim crap.

I think we are headed in the right direction and will go 8-8 this year, look for an explosive defense and offense that can move the chains. At least I have formed this opinion because I have paid attention to the draft and mini-camp. And I planned to stay informed throughout.

Go Texans!