View Single Post
Old 06-02-2004   #46
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Grasshopper? Funny. I've been watching the NFL since Larry Csonka was a rookie.

Who's expecting a championship? I don't see the Texans making the playoffs this year. In numerous threads I've predicted 8-8 this year and that if 7-9 happens, I could roll with it considering the circumstances.

My point all along in all these ramblings was that based on history (the new-Browns precedent specifically) it's not unrealistic to start thinking playoffs in the 4th year of a startup franchise. My statement: "If the other teams I mentioned can do it (go to the playoffs in 4 years), so can we" does not equate to playoff "expectations" (much less championship). But it does mean that we are getting close to the point (one more year) where we can realistically talk about playoffs, but not necessarily "expect" it. I store hopes and expectations in separate bins.

Again, I think the new-Browns have set the benchmark that's most relevant to our situation. Really the only thing I objected to was your statement: "How do we compete with a team that is 20 years old?" which to me is irrelevant. Show me a team that's 20 years old and I'll show you a team that's turned over it's roster about 5 times.

Plus, I'm about the last person you would find around here with unrealistic expectations. I was an Oilers season ticket holder for about 20 years.

I'm not old enough to remember the Cardinals teams of the 30's (actually they last won a championship in '47 per this article that was written before the 2004 Super Bowl), but they did have some very good (and legit) teams in the mid 70's with Jim Hart, Jim Otis, Terry Metcalf, Dan Dierdorf, Conrad Dobler, Mel Gray and others -- teams that I enjoyed watching very much. They fielded those very good and very legit teams despite the fact that they have been one of the most poorly run franchises in NFL history.

I think we agree on much more than we disagree on.

Last edited by aj.; 06-02-2004 at 07:29 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote