View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84321 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What would you have done

The Babin deal. The Pburnt deal. Carr. Everyone has gone back years after the fact and picked our worst moves apart. This is your chance to second guess THIS years draft. Lets limit the discussion to this years draft please. No trade talk. Just what we actually had available. Here are our picks for those not paying attention. And I'll start with the different selections I wanted to make. Make your picks here where you can actually come back a year later and say "We should have done this - I said so a year ago"

1 10(10) Amobi Okoye DT LOUISVILLE
3 9(73) Jacoby Jones WR LANE
4 24(123) Fred Bennett CB SOUTH CAROLINA
5 7(144) Brandon Harrison S STANFORD
5 26(163) Brandon Frye OT VIRGINIA TECH
6 9(183) Kasey Studdard OG TEXAS
7 8(218) Zach Diles ILB KANSAS STATE

Overall I like our draft. Not sure about adding an ILB. But it is the 2nd round. I wanted to address WR2 as bad as anybody but I don't think we did. If there is one glaring hole that would be it. I consider rounds 4-7 a crap shoot really. The most notable selection I would have done different is our 3rd round pick. We didn't need another WR3/WR4 on the roster. I would have liked one of three guys.

Michael Bush. I know we had Green by then. But let the two rotate. Bush has shown "IT" at the college level and was a preseason 1st round pick. He broke his leg (not a chronic injury) and missed the entire 2006 season. Green only has a few years left (even with the recent success of Dillon, Martin and Barber 30 year old backs just don't do well). I don't have much faith in Jones. We've already got a fast as lightning kick returner on our team. I see no reason to add another one.

The other guy I would have liked to have seen was Hunt. Speed became a question but he was a first or second round talent going into the combine. He doesn't juke much (sounds perfect for our system) and he may not be a home run threat, his 4.55 40 wasn't great but its more than passable.

Aaron Rouse. He was a disappointment in the 2006 season. But can we please get someone in either safety spot that the other team at least thinks about? I know we needed a WR... but Jones certainly isn't WR2. Aaron Rouse at least would qualify as a guy you could use as a SS2 and there were going to be more WRs in FA than there were safeties. There are questions about his attitude, which worries me... but maybe being picked in the 3rd round (instead of the 1st like many were talking preseason) will humble him a little.

Oh well... anybody else have any picks they would have like to done differently?

I should probably pick one guy... and if I had to it would be tough. I guess since we have Green on the roster it would have to be Rouse... but I'm not as high on him as I am Bush or Hunt. If you tortured me though I would go in this order.

Rouse
Bush
Hunt

Mike

Last edited by Texanmike02; 06-20-2007 at 02:09 AM. Reason: clarification
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote