Thread: A Favor
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007   #10
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer
Default Re: A Favor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Okay, so what you are saying is journalism should be name calling? And that the only way to get a reasoned analysis of your team is to win? I'm not saying I want people to just say awesome things about the team, but is it possible for their to be more coverage than just punchlines?

One newspaper town and AP service. Not a good combination for interesting analysis of your team.

I am not saying that journalism should be name calling, what I am saying is that NFL journalism has always been namecalling. It's just part of athletics in general. When the Oilers were doing well and people were calling the Saints the Aints, I didn't care really. I will be honest, I thought nothing of them and thought they plain sucked. The same thing about the Lions now. Unless there is an in-depth article about the Lions, I wouldn't expect anything more than a mention about Lions being the destination for under-achieving WRs and a joke about Millen's job security. In an in-depth article about a losing team is the only place you are going to get real discussion about them. Outside of that, that losing team will be a punchline. That is just the way it is, and has been that way for awhile.

Houston having one paper doesn't help the situation at all. You have some of the biggest bandwagoner writers I have ever read at the Chronicle. People who get so much information and access and totally squander it in favor of personal agendas and notoriety. Chronicle needs some competition badly.
dskillz is offline   Reply With Quote