View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Inside MiniCamp NFL Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Says he just doesn't think Mario has the quickness of Julius Peppers and is just a big, strong DE.
This is a correct assessment - the Mario to Peppers comparisons are totally off base (have been since last year) as they are quite different players.

Even a totally healthy Mario isn't anywhere as quick and explosive as Peppers. Mario is thicker in the trunk and is more of a power DE. He has good pursuit speed to the play but does not have anywhere near the cat quick explosiveness of Peppers. Few DEs do.

I heard some fairly interesting info yesterday about how Coach Karm was the one who lobbied extremely hard for Mario just before last year's drarft. all in the context of "I've been coaching in this league for 30 years and you're going to miss out on the next Bruce Smith if you don't pick him." Hadn't heard that before and I always wondered where the Mario energy came from internally. I knew it didn't come from Kubiak, Calhoun or Sherman. I suspected Richard Smith.

I'm not expecting Mario to be a 'great' player and I doubt he will ever live up to high first round, much less #1 overall expectations. He's a good DE who at times has shown he can be distruptive but he's streaky and can disappear for long stretches -- foot considered. If he can't dominate this year (or if reports of nagging injuries linger), then we'll know...

I hope he has a good year.

Last edited by aj.; 06-13-2007 at 07:13 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote