View Single Post
Old 12-29-2004   #32
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Off the top of your head I bet you can't name the "dominant" lineman on the Patriots. I have typed this a few times but we only had two players play at the same position they were in last season. McKinney and Weigert. Everyone else (Wand, Pitts, Wade, Bruenner) was either new to the team or learning a new position. The line has gotten better as the season has unfolded and there is no reason to think this mix of guys isn't going to work if you are objective and follow other NFL teams and how their linemen mature as units.

I've got to agree with you on this Vinny. The line has gotten better. I expected/wanted to see improvement about three weeks or so before it actually started to show up consistently and I wrote that big ol post about not seeing any at the time. It has started to appear regularly though and that's not just in response to the latest couple of wins. That's in response to three weeks of watching the Texans o-line run block just flat out better.

I believe two things. I believe that once the zone blocking scheme is down pat, business as usual, and nobody is having to do much thinking about it then the pass protection will improve as well. I know it doesn't make much sense but that's what I think.

I also believe that before it's all done Chester Pitts will be a Pro Bowl guard. I don't know if Seth Wand will be joining him but Wand is going to be a very good LT for years to come. It's time that they both need, that's all.

I wonder where Seth is right now on sacks allowed and such compared to Pitts in his first and second years? I'm sure once the season wraps up someone will have that info.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote