View Single Post
Old 12-29-2004   #61
jagsfanincanada
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Dime, just my 2 cents here but...

I for one do not particularly care for Byron Leftwich. I've got nothing against him personally or anything and I'm sure he's a stand-up kind of guy. I just don't see what makes this guy a great quarterback. I see a guy with legs of stone. I see a guy who comes apart when you get to him. I don't see any innate pocket presence or ability to feel the pressure coming. He's always been (against the Texans at any rate) pretty easy to get to and pretty much lousy when he's plodding for his life.

In games against the Texans he's been innacurate and fumble prone. I've seen him drop balls when nobody was even near him. Not fumble a bad snap or botch a handoff. I mean standing there with nobody around him or plodding along outside the pocket and just flat out dropping the ball.

I read where Byron's tough. He keeps getting hit and keeps getting back up. Newsflash people, learning that your quarterback can get his head beaten in and still stay in a game is not a good thing. If your quarterback is getting pounded hard enough to have people around the NFL talking about what a tough guy he is for getting back up then you're not a team with a tough quarterback. You're a team that can't protect your quarterback. The Texans and David Carr can tell you all about that. Is it a good thing that Steve McNair can play through injuries that would send a lesser man to the sideline? Well maybe but the fact that he's been so banged up over the years that he's talking about retirement (however passing that might be) is a sign that the rep he got from being so tough isn't worth it.

Tough is good. Tough like I saw Sunday is stupid. I give Byron no points for that nor do I give the Jags any for having a "tough" QB. They've got an accurate, immobile, and easily flustered target back there. That type of QB is in the process of being run out of the NFL by speed rushing ends and linebackers as we speak.

Congrats on drafting a younger, less mobile (but mighty tough!) wannabe Dan Marino. You better learn to protect him like he's made of glass because just sitting there being able to take a lick is going to get him to where Steve McNair's mind is a lot faster than Steve got there.

I don't get all worried that Byron Leftwich is going to tear the Texans up. When McNair starts leading the Titans back on us I get nervous. When Manning comes to the line I hope we can keep him under some kind of control. When Leftwich gets ready to take the snap I actually feel better when I know it's a passing down and he's likely to throw. As poor as the Texans pass rush has been at times this season I was sure that if there was one guy the Texans could catch it would be Leftwich.
This is exactly what I am talking about when I say I feel bad that we always play like **** against you guys. I doubt you've watched any Jags games but the two against you. I doubt you watched him lead us down the field against Kansas City or trade scoring drives with Peyton Manning.

You also have to remember Leftwich is a second year QB. A lot of people, both Jags fans and otherwise, seem to expect so much of him, but he's still very young and still developing. People have been spoiled by guys like Manning and Big Ben doing so well in their first or second year, and forget guys like Carr, Brees, Favre, McNair, etc took a little longer to develop.

And what QB isn't going to get flustered when the protection gets to him? Even greats like Favre still make bad decisions in the face of pressure. It's not Leftwich's fault his LT is out and the backup is absolute garbage. And before you cite his lack of mobility as the reason he's sacked, Carr, Culpepper and Vick are among the most sacked QBs in the league, despite their large mobility advantage over Leftwich. Conversely, Manning and Favre are sacked very little.
jagsfanincanada is offline   Reply With Quote