View Single Post
Old 12-28-2004   #46
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Biped
Now for all of you who feel that I'm out of line, I challenge you to present a case that this team has improved significantly on offense because of the coaching from last year to this. Exclude the fact that we have one of the best young WRs in the game, a good 2nd year RB and a talented QB. Remember, when Davis was hurt, the running game was lousy. Now that he has healed, it's better. Subtract what the talent brings and make a real, educated case. If all you can offer is the "love the Texans because they're ours and they are getting a little better each year" argument, then you will have failed the challenge.
See now the way I look at it AJ had one of the best rookie seasons ever by a WR and is in the pro-bowl this year partly because the coaching has helped him run routes well (a weakness out of college and one of those fundamentals you talked about) because of coaching. Pitts made a huge improvement year one to two, along with the rest of the OL that almost set an NFL record for sack production at least in part because of coaching. Wand became a starter in year two from being a small school 3rd round pick at least in part because of coaching. David Carr is upping his completion rate and improving his TD's to Int's and being given more responsibility in part due to coaching.

How about the defensive side as well? You seriously going to argue that Dunta who was not nearly as well regarded as Hall has done so well without any influence from Hoke. Do you really want to argue the 2003 D didn't completely fall apart with all those injuries due to the talent of the street free agents that were signed rather than the creative schemes such as no down linemen and 6 LB's that Capers/Fangio installed.

There's a simple off-the-cuff explanation, I could go on. But since you are into challenges, seems to me you have said the coaches need to go and made a lot of generalizations but really haven't "presented a case" that the offense hasn't improved due to coaching. Why don't you belly up to the bar and pick a coach or coaches and point out particular mistakes?

Oh and FYI on penalties:
Wand 2004--3
Pitts 2003--17, 2004--12
McKinney 2003--3, 2004--0
Weigert 2003--7, 2004--3
Wade 2003 (Miami)--3, 2004--3

Pitts is the only guy with a penalty problem and even he has improved--I know, they all come in key situations though and that has to be the coachs' fault not the players'.