View Single Post
Old 12-28-2004   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There's still $2.1 million unamortized on Wiegert's signing bonus. But, Zach will draw a $2.65 million salary next season. So releasing him prior to June 1, 2005 would save the Texans $550K against the cap, $1.95 million after June 1.
Where did you get the bonus info?

If Wiegert's bonus is amortized at 700k per year (if they did a 'standard' proration of his signing bonus) and if there are no other roster/workout etc. bonuses in his contract then his cap figure is $3.35 next year so any "savings" would be based on that number. Cap savings are often exaggerated since you still have to consider the replacement player's cap number. McKinney makes more than Wiegert. If you ask me who's the weaker link between those two and whose contract needs more atteniton, it's McKinney.

Milford does have three accrued seasons. I couldn't remember when he actually joined the team in '02 since I remembered that it was an in-season supplemental draft and the player has to be on full pay status for six games to get credit for the accrued season. I went back and checked and he was signed in Week 6 and was on the 53 the rest of the season - so he was on full pay status for Weeks 7-17 (11 weeks) even though he was inactive for every game.

Last edited by aj.; 12-28-2004 at 06:53 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote