Thread: Luv Ya' Blue!
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007   #90
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know how accurate or up to date this is.

Quote:
Adams alienated many fans in Houston with his questionable decisions, including firing the extremely popular Bum Phillips and threatening in 1987 to move the team to Jacksonville, Florida if improvements were not made to the Astrodome. The city agreed to pay $67 million in renovations which included the removal of the iconic center field scoreboard. When the city refused to help finance a new stadium just a few years later, he moved the franchise to Tennessee for the 1997 season. After playing two season as the Tennessee Oilers, they were renamed the Tennessee Titans in 1999. The city of Houston is still paying back the debt from the renovations they made to the Astrodome in 1987.
that is kinda what I remember but the bold part is troubling to me (if it is true)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Texans

But like Earl said, Bud lost leverage to ask for a new stadium after a 2-14 season(esp after the city renovated), you just don't see it happening on any sports level, unless it is an expansion team.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote