View Single Post
Old 12-23-2004   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

well ive made my stance on Derrick Johnson pretty well known ..

Problem is I really dont know anything about the kids personality (he could be like Kellen Winslow for all I know, "im a soldier! im a soldier!".. boy what id give to have him alone in a room for 5 minutes so i could just "female dog" slap the **** out of him a few hundred times)

Also, would he play ILB for us? is that really putting his talents to their best use? or would we be better off using him at his natural position of OLB? Babin and Johnson on the outside sounds great.. that could really help our pass rush (which btw, im of the opinion that pass rushers have replaced CBs as the most important position on defense, now that the 5 yard penalty is in effect).. but if we do that then we still have that problem at ILB. Will wong play there? is he even any GOOD there? is Polk better than Foreman? and even if we do do this, wont that leave Peek out in the cold? Peek would be a great backup but with his talent, and the lack of playing time he gets.. i think he would go the way of Posey when his contract expires. Still.. if Johnson is the better rusher then you cant really complain.. yah it would suck to snub Peek like that but you gotta do whats best for the team.

And then there is Ahmad Brooks.. if he declares he could be the perfect fit for us at ILB and has lots of 3-4 experience in college... but will that help our pass rush? ILBs arent as important as OLBs when it comes to rushing the passer in the 3-4 it seems.

Perhaps Johnson in the first.. an ILB in the second (if a good one is available).. then Dlinemen in the 3rd and 4th.. if we make good picks that would fix MOST of our problems on D and hopefully set us up for years to come. Then next season we can maybe try for Ahmad Brooks (if he doesnt declare this year)

Either way.. I dont know.. I think improving our pass rush is again our most important objective this offseason.. our second most important is to figure out the problem with our Oline. A successful running game is the only way we will have a successful offense.. and the Oline needs to be good for us to have a successful running game. third objective would be the Dline. After that.. i think everything is fluff.... like a quick WR, some depth at FS/SS.. a good TE.. and a good cover corner (cover corners are the way to go if they continue to stick with the 5 yard rule.. zone coverage is what you need)

by the way.. well.. ill make another post on it. there is a TE that we may be able to pick up in the 5th-7th round. he is a project but could be great if we give him the chance.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote