Thread: June 1st
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2004   #10
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Even if Trotter would accept a backup role, he might only be able to service as a backup for a year or so. That's not much help for the price you'd have to pay to get him. Don't underestimate Evans as a backup. Granted hes not as flashy or talented as Trotter, but he does have experience in the system and he's a tough hard nosed player. Don't get me wrong, I'd like more depth at LB too, but I don't think picking up a guy out of desperation is the way to go about it. The June 1st cuts have provided slim pickings at best the past couple years since teams have gotten better accustomed to the whole salary cap/dead money situation. The only crucial acquistion made by a team thanks to the June 1 cuts over the past few years I can think of is the Keenan McCardell to Tampa Bay deal. They went on to win the SB that year. The bottom line is I'd take a tough hard nosed player who'll give me all he has no matter what role he plays over a guy with a 'I gotta start or I won't play' mentality. Not a knock on Trotter, but with Evans you already know what you're getting.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote