View Single Post
Old 05-31-2004   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
Who said this line was not "athletic"?
Not me, but I did say that I don't like big fat guys who can't move. Not that we have anybody who qualifies. If you ever heard John McClain's rant about the Cowboys under Campo o-line sitting around in their jock straps playing dominoes after practice you know where I'm coming from. <shudder at the thought>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
This line is HUGE and MOBILE!
One thing I did say was that I don't consider the Texans o-line extraordinarily massive or huge when compared to the rest of the league. A 6'4" - 305-320 lb. guard is pretty much "normal" today. Look at our own division (Piller, Olson, and Naeole come to mind). McKinney is one of the smallest centers in the league (at 295 last year) and not what I would call super mobile. I could be way wrong on this but my hunch is that our line of Pitts, Brown, McKinney, Wiegert, Wade doesn't make the top quartile in the league size-wise. Add Wand to the mix and you gain a little. Maybe someone can crunch the numbers. Averaging weights across positions can be misleading. To do it right, you probably need to look at it position by position.

Huge or not, I like our line. It's like night and day from two years ago. I've never been a big McKinney fan (he's ok/average in my book) but I have really liked what I've seen from Pitts and Wiegert. Milford showed flashes last year before he went down, Washington filled in nicely for McKinney at center but he is another one who I don't consider mobile. I can't wait to see Wade and the new Wand. Weary has disappointed somewhat and I'm hoping he shows something this year, and I also hope that Milford Brown makes it back all the way from his injury. I think our right side with Wiegert, Wade and Bruener can be dominating.

Last edited by aj.; 05-31-2004 at 09:33 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote